We are frequently asked if coconut oil will clog your pores. Short answer, not the coconut oil we use!
While coconut oil is high on the comedogenic scale, we do not use virgin coconut oil. Barecat products only contain MCT Oil (fractionated coconut oil).
What does that even mean!?
This means, the oil we use only contains a fraction of the coconut. The lauric acid has been removed. Fractionated coconut oil is more easily absorbed by the skin and less likely to clog pores than virgin coconut oil. It also maintains a longer shelf life, nourishing medium-chain fatty acids and essential nutrients in this form.
Let's break it down:
- Virgin coconut oil will solidify at room temperature
- Virgin coconut oil contains lauric acid and other long-chain fatty acids
- Fractionated coconut oil will always maintain a liquid form and has a longer shelf life
- Fractioned coconut oil is a lot less likely to cause breakouts or clog pores
- Fractioned coconut oil is much lighter and easily absorbed into the skin
Both forms of coconut oil are amazingly nourishing and have endless benefits!